Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Still rings true...

I have not ever been political on the blog before, but I came across this quote and immediately knew it to be true. If only there were a few more people who could understand this concept in our nation's capital today...

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is surely the end of any nation's future."
-Abraham Lincoln

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there isn't a need for a welfare program or that there is a problem accepting help when it is needed. I am just very pro personal responsibility and believe that maybe there are a few people out there that could benefit from a better work ethic.

* DISCLAIMER * That being said, this is in NO WAY directed at anybody I know. It is just something that has been on my mind lately...so please don't be offended....

6 comments:

The Bates said...

Amen!

Kami Milliron said...

I agree ! I think that Welfare is there for the people who truly need it. And those that take advantage of it, are only ruining it for those that need it. Thanks for posting this. I think your opinion is YOUR opinion and it is perfectly fine for your to express it : ) I love that quote by the way. Did you get it from Glen Beck ?!

Stacie Robinson said...

I agree with you 100%. I have been feeling this way for some time and you would think that if our president respects and admires Abraham Lincoln so much that he would have run across that quote before...interesting

Tressa said...

I love that! It expresses my feelings perfectly.

mad white woman said...

Isn't it interesting how things work? Like everything else, there is a time and a place for welfare.

Kristina Johnson said...

Couldn't agree more with your quote. I think I'll copy it and post it on my blog. See you Sunday!