Sunday, September 4, 2011

It is days like this...

It is days like this, that make me want to throw in the towel. I want to give up. I don't want to me mom anymore. I debated weather to write this post and ultimately decided that it is my life. Someday, I really hope to be able to look back at this time in my life and laugh and wonder why it seemed so hard. I will preface this with this statement, I LOVE MY KIDS. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, but I am afraid I am failing one of them as her mom.

I HAVE AN OUT-OF-CONTROL TWO YEAR OLD.

She has a cherub face, and that might be the only reason I let her stay. She is a physical and emotional tornado, and I feel like I am being destroyed by her storm. She is only happy when she is being naughty. If she is not dumping milk on the floor, or using cereal as confetti, or lathering her hair with baby oil, she isn't happy. She walks around all day crying because of non-existent owies. She cries that I won't hold her, and then as soon as I agree to pick her up, she cries because she wants down. She cries because she wants Spaghettio's for lunch and then throws the full bowl onto the carpet as soon as I put it on the table. She cries that Rae won't play with her and when Rae stands up to play, she cries that Rae hit her (which is USUALLY not the case). She cries that she wants to be potty trained, but digs poop out of the toilet to smear on the walls, floor, and anywhere else she can reach. (I still don't know why Rae REFUSES to flush the toilet!)

I have really tried this week to focus on her positive moments. When she is actually doing what she is supposed to do, I make a HUGE deal about it. We clap and sing and dance that Laynee is being so good. Her reaction to praise? She flips out. She throws the biggest tantrum you will ever see. She hates to be praised is the only conclusion I can come to.

I have also tried punishment, in the form of time out and losing privileges. She cries while I hold her in time out, but goes straight back to the behavior that put her there. When asked if she wants to go back to time out, even thirty seconds after leaving it, she will tell me that yes indeed she does want to go back. Losing privileges only forces her to be naughty, because there are no longer any toys to play with or shows to watch.

I have spent more than four hours over the last two days trying to prepare my primary lesson. I still haven't made it past the first paragraph. She can't play nice for more than thirty seconds, and Rae can only take so many beatings before she doesn't want to play anymore (and who can blame her). Even as I type this she has been on and off my lap three times and I have had to stop at least half a dozen times to stop her from doing something naughty.

I have tried redirection, Love and Logic, and trying to figure out her love language. Nothing seems to work. I have always told myself that it is just a phase, that her behavior will get better when she can (fill in the blank here). If I can't teach her to control herself, and how to be a functional person in society, I fail as her mom. We haven't made much progress in the last two years, and I am getting discouraged the future will hold a whole lot more of the same.

If you are still reading this, sorry. If you have any advice, I will gladly try anything at this point...

6 comments:

RyDeb.White said...

Allison, I am so sorry. Please know you cannot blame yourself for your child’s actions. I am a firm believer that even at this age children have their agency.
We can’t actually make them do( or not do) anything. All we can do is choose how we deal with the choices they make. That doesn’t make you a failure at all! You don’t fail until you give up.
I wish I had some advice that would magically make things better, but the only things I can think of are talking to her pediatrician, and maybe a Father’s blessing, and a girl’s night out for you. You need to give yourself a chance to recharge once in awhile:) If you ever need to talk or even get out of the house for a bit, I’m here for ya. Seriously.
I’m not on facebook anymore, but you can e-mail me rydeb.white{at}gmail{dot}com
Ps. Laynee beating up on Rae reminds me an awful lot of my childhood. My sister was incessant in her attacks against me and I just couldn’t hurt her back. Things did get better, now she’s my best friend. So there is hope:)

Ashley Harris said...

Wow Allison I am so sorry. That's some naughty stuff you have going on there! While I was reading, to be honest, I kept thinking that her behavior was way more than normal 2 year old stuff. I would say to talk to your pediatrician. I am sorry I don't have good advice for you. It is a horrible feeling to feel like you are failing your child/children - trust me I know! Keep your chin up, do your best and it will all work out. You can do this!

Allison Johnson said...

I actually did ask the pediatrician last month when we went for her well visit. He said that most of that sounds normal, but that she is a very smart and determined little girl, so she might be a hard toddler. Hmmm. Ya think?!?

mad white woman said...

Ahh! You are not a failure! NO NO NO. You are trying, you are concerned and you are doing your best. She's already got a whole lot more than many kids these days. Not only that, but you, as her mother, are entitled to receive revelation for how to best handle her. Pray for help. I promise thoughts will come to you on the best way to respond to respond. With that said, you can never force your kids to make good decisions. But if you're consistent with discipline, love them, teach them and encourage them to do right, you've done your best, regardless of what they choose.

Does she get quality alone time with just you? I know Clara's behavior is night and day if I start ignoring her too much (like when Hazel was born). I have to set everything aside to play a game with her, craft with her, do art projects, etc. or she acts out to get my attention. Just a thought. :)

The Curry Family said...

Maybe she is ready for a little preschool class (or dance, something just to give her time to get some energy out) or something? Something that gets her out of the house for a bit, and gives you a break as well.

Jonny and Brittany said...

Allison- I know I don't know you too well BUT from reading this post you are making huge efforts for your little girl! It's funny how our worries change once we become parents. I am AFRAID for our children because I have heard my husband threw tantrums as a child (deathly afraid of how to handle that)lol- keep your head up and know that you are doing a great job! :)I am excited to follow along your blog and get to know you better :)